Philippines army soldiers ride in trucks into the fighting zone as government troops continue their assault against Islamic militants in Marawi. The Catholic bishop of Marawi dismissed as "ridiculous" proposals to negotiate for the release of a priest held captive by terrorist gunmen. (CNS photo/Jorge Silva, Reuters)

Marawi bishop says church can’t negotiate with terrorists who hold priest

1839 0

DAGUPAN, Philippines (CNS) — The Catholic bishop in the southern Philippine city of Marawi dismissed as “ridiculous” proposals to negotiate for the release of a priest held captive by terrorist gunmen.

Speaking before a gathering of church people in the northern province of Pangasinan, Bishop Edwin de la Pena of Marawi said “there is no way we can dialogue” with extremists, reported ucanews.com.

The bishop said that for the past four decades, the Catholic Church’s response to war and conflicts in the southern region of Mindanao has been dialogue.

“We can only dialogue with like-minded people,” he told the June 29 gathering at the Solidarity Congress for Persecuted Christians. The gathering was sponsored by Aid to the Church in Need, a pontifical foundation that supports victims of persecution.

Ucanews.com reported Bishop de la Pena said the church should “choose the kind of people that we will have a dialogue with.”

He said people who have fallen victim to extremism, those who “experience so much pain … are all the people who are open to have a dialogue with us.”

Security forces in southern Philippines continue to battle with terrorist gunmen who claim to have links with the so-called Islamic State.

The gunmen, belonging to the local Maute terror group, attacked Marawi May 23 and burned the city’s Catholic cathedral and a Protestant school. They kidnapped Father Teresito Soganub and several church workers.

The Philippine military said Father Soganub was seen alive June 25, during a “humanitarian pause” in the conflict.

The government said the terrorists are still holding about 100 hostages who are being used as human shields.

On June 28, at least 17 civilian bodies were recovered by the military from the besieged city. These were in addition to the 27 civilians earlier confirmed killed when fighting broke out last month, reported ucanews.com.

The conflict has so far resulted in the deaths of at least 299 terrorists and 71 soldiers and policemen.

Some 2,700 civilians have been rescued from the battle zone while about 300,000 individuals remain in evacuation centers in nearby areas.

Related Post

Reese Buchinger, 12, a seventh-grader at Holy Spirit School in Kimberly, Wis., helps sort items for the food pantry at St. Anthony Parish in Neopit, Wis., Dec. 15. The parish food pantry is located on the Menominee Indian Reservation. (CNS photo/Bob Zyskowski, for The Compass)

Church pantry’s needs take priority over toys for this holiday drive

Posted by - December 30, 2017 0
NEOPIT, Wis. (CNS) — Not one toy. Bags of flour, boxes of cereal, cans of vegetables, cases of juice, bundles…
Father Enrique Herrera, pastor of Holy Trinity Church in Greenfield, Calif., is the winner of the 40th annual Lumen Christi Award of the Catholic Extension Society. He is pictured in a late June photo. (CNS photo/courtesy Catholic Extension Society)

California pastor of immigrant parish honored with Lumen Christi Award

Posted by - September 15, 2017 0
CHICAGO (CNS) — Today, Greenfield in California’s Salinas Valley looks and feels different because Father Enrique Herrera believed that the…
Justin Gaertner, a former Marine who lost both his legs while sweeping for bombs on his third deployment in Afghanistan, is seen at his computer in foreground in an undated photo. Gaertner now has a new mission as a "human exploitation rescue operative," or HERO, with the Department of Homeland Security, pursuing predators who collect and trade child pornography on the internet. (CNS photo/courtesy Justin Gaertner via U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement)

Vigilance by parents and their children called key to safe internet use

Posted by - February 16, 2019 0
WASHINGTON (CNS) — In his internet safety presentations at schools, Justin Gaertner emphasizes that safety “comes back to parents and…
People are seen with their belongings in the street after they left their homes Jan. 25 because of a wildfires near Vichuquen, Chile. Pope Francis sent his condolences to the victims and survivors of one of the worst wildfires in Chile's history.(CNS photo/Cristobal Hernandez, Reuters)

Pope prays for victims of deadly wildfires in Chile

Posted by - February 3, 2017 0
By Junno Arocho Esteves, Catholic News Service VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Pope Francis sent his condolences to the victims and…
Indian children watch a movie on a cellphone on the roadside in Mumbai Jan. 20, 2016. While digital communications and social media can be used as a tool of evangelization and a place of dialogue with others, they also can be lonely environments where young people fall prey to humanity's worst vices, Pope Francis wrote in his new apostolic exhortation to young people, "Christus Vivit" ("Christ Lives").

Papal document addresses challenges of evangelizing in the digital age

Posted by - April 6, 2019 0
VATICAN CITY (CNS) — While digital communications and social media can be used as a tool of evangelization and a…